Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reboot

Hey everyone,

I've decided to restart blogging with the general concept of "anything goes". It's summer now, so I should be able to update regularly.

Sophomore year is over, and it was rather disappointing. Up until now, I've been able to take on more than usual and still do absolutely fine. This year I finally found my limit (or it found me). The scariest thing was discovering that I forgot how to write! Next year I'll be dropping down to a much more manageable 13 hours a semester and begin recovering what's left of my GPA. C'est la vie.

For the first half of the summer I'll be working on three things:
  1. Finishing up work on the Power of Logic (PoL) web tutor.
  2. Doing supercomputing research for the Indiana Philosophy Ontology Project (InPhO).
  3. Training for deCycles 2009.

For PoL, I'll be working on some new applets for argument diagramming. I've decided to go with Java for this, since I'm starting to get a decent grasp on the swing libraries and have a general disdain for Flash. You can expect at least one post on swing... I'll also be relearning C for the InPhO parallelization research. Since it's summer and I can code for fun as well, I'll be refining my Python skills too.

This summer is hardly confined to the "great indoors" (thank god). In June I'm leaving for a 1500-mile bike tour from Bloomington, IN to Appalachia. We'll be traveling across the Bluegrass to the Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Parkway. After reaching Asheville, NC, we'll head through Gatlinburg and Great Smoky Mountains National Park, back through Tennessee and Kentucky, and then back home again. It should be an epic time, but it requires a lot of training. I'm aiming for 1200 miles by June 20, and I'll be uploading pics from the road.

I've made an effort to tie this blog with the rest of my "cloud" presence. To the right you'll find streams of my Google Reader shared items, del.icio.us bookmarks and Twitter updates. Hopefully they are useful. I've also added some friends who occasionally blog. They're pretty cool. Please subscribe/follow/bookmark/remember the blog, I'll make it worthwhile.

Peace,
Jaimie Murdock