Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pictures


On Friday I got the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS (Amazon). I'm really pleased with it - the form factor is amazingly small and it feels sturdy. Despite its small size, it packs a ton of features - 12 megapixel sensor, 3x optical zoom, view finder, 2.5" LCD, HDMI out and a full gamut of image options that I'll be exploring soon. Thus far, it earns high accolades.


I've been using Google Picasa to do simple photo editing (just crops and straightening so far). I like the suite's usability and the hassle-free uploading to Blogger and Picasa Web Albums (and Facebook on Windows). One strange thing about Picasa is that it doesn't actually save edits to the file directly - rather it stores the transformations in library files. This preserves the originals and saves disk space, but can be confusing when you open the file in a different program and notice your edits are gone. The Export button saves the edited pictures to your hard drive. The other export options also just send the edited picture. It's a good system, but something to be aware of if you want to move to other image software.


More can be found at my Picasa web album.